No matter how fully-equipped a property is, it can still suffer damage due to unforeseen circumstances. For one, natural disasters are very unpredictable. For example, rainstorms can be more devastating than what you have imagined.
These can cause great damage to the property, and your hard-earned money goes down to waste. If you are lucky enough, some damages can still be repaired. In Boca Raton, there are 24-hour water damage repair services available. Expect to spend some cash for repairs.
On a positive note, at least you don’t lose your property for good. The common types of water damage include:
- Sudden discharge due to a leaky or burst pipe
- Overflow due to a faulty sink, tub, or toilet
- Floods due to natural disasters such as hurricanes
Meanwhile, there is also gradual damage, which might occur due to water damage. Gradual damage refers to any damage incurred in your property over time. The abovementioned water damages are mostly covered by home insurance.
To be sure, you can check it with your insurance provider. Among common examples of gradual damage due to water damage include:
- Leaky faucets or plumbing systems that cause damage to the walls, floors, or ceiling
- Rainwater seeping through the foundation cracks and causes damage to the house interiors
- Presence of rot or mold on some parts of the house such as flooring or walls
- Faulty electrical wiring due to water leaks
A house is a complex structure. We only see what’s on the outside: painted walls, home décor, and appliances. Little do we realize that there are other parts within the structure. These unseen parts include water pipes, electrical wires, and ventilation systems.
When water damage occurs, it can affect both the interior and exterior parts of the house. As mentioned, you can claim insurance due to water damage. However, it depends on the extent of damage and how the damage occurred.
For example, the claim may be invalid if the damage is not accidental. More so, the claim will most likely be denied if the damage is due to negligence on your part.
Preventing water damage
Water damage can happen suddenly and is beyond our control. This can happen in the event of natural disasters such as hurricanes. Otherwise, there are ways to prevent the effects of water damage.
- Check your faucets and water pipes – Conduct regular inspections for any signs of leaky pipes or faulty faucets. If you live in cold areas, make sure to warm up the pipes to prevent them from getting frozen. Open the sink cabinets or turn the heater on during cold days.
- Check the bathroom – Replace caulk if it has signs of damage. This will help prevent leaks that can result in the formation of molds and mildew. Check also the shower, toilet, and sink pipes for any signs of leakage.
- Check the air conditioner – Ensure that the air-con drain is unclogged. Throw away standing water in the drip pan. Have your air conditioner regularly inspected to prevent future leaks.
Accidents and disasters can happen anytime. It can do damage to your property. In such cases, it is important to know your options. You can opt to claim home insurance as long as it meets certain requirements. Or, you can hire professional repair services to fix your home.